Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2010

good ol' chili

I learned how to make this from my mom. There's really not an exact recipe, but it comes out delicious every time! I usually dump in whatever I have on hand and leave out what I don't.

You'll need:
ground beef - 1-2 lbs (ground turkey works too)
1 big (28oz?) can diced tomatoes
1 (14oz?) can tomato sauce
3-8 tablespoons chili powder, in the bottle
2-4 teaspoons ground cumin
beans -  I usually do at least one can of chili beans and one can of kidney beans, but I've been known to add great northern or even a can of pork 'n beans from time to time.

Optional - add one item or add it all:
1 (10.5oz) can Rotel
1 small can diced green chilies
1 cup salsa

To make it:
1) Brown the ground beef
2) Dump everything except the spices in a pot or crock pot, mix together.
3) Start with the smallest amount of spices and mix those in.
4) Allow the chili to cook for a bit - once it's hot, taste test and add more chili powder if you want more heat. Add more cumin to taste.
5) Simmer on the stove for up to an hour or in crock pot on low all afternoon. The longer it cooks, the better it tastes!

** you may add more tomato sauce or water if you like a thinner consistency

Serve with shredded cheese and cinnamon rolls! :)

1 comment:

JJ said...

Thank you, thank you!!