Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

Turkey Meatloaf

I'm not a huge meatloaf fan, but after another blogger posted something on Twitter about a great meatloaf she made I thought I would try on. She sent me the recipe, but it had way more ingredients than I have around my house so I did a search on-line for one. The one I ended up with was phenomenal and I have been craving it everyday since making it. I didn't follow the recipe exactly as the onion I had in my house had gone bad (I just sprinkled a boatload of dried onion flakes). I also sprinkled a little Italian seasoning and some dried cilantro.Next time I will probably add some finely chopped veggies just to get some more into my son since he has become so picky. I think I'm adding this too a weekly rotation until I'm sick of it!

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)

2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth

3 tablespoons ketchup, divided

1 3/4 pounds ground turkey, 97% lean

3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1 large egg white, lightly beaten

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 375°. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, broth, and 1 tablespoon ketchup; transfer mixture to a large bowl, and cool.
2. Add turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, egg white, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to mixture in bowl, and mix well. (Mixture will be very moist.)
3. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and coat lightly with cooking spray. Form the turkey mixture into a loaf, and place on the pan. Brush meatloaf evenly with remaining 2 tablespoons ketchup. Bake 1 hour or until thermometer inserted into center registers 170°. Let meatloaf stand 5 minutes before serving.

No comments: