Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

Massaman Curry Chicken

Once up a time a friend of mine took me out for dinner at a Thai restaurant. It was the first time I'd ever been and he suggested the Massaman Curry Chicken. From that moment on, I was on the search for a way to duplicate that recipe and here is what I've come up with.

picture from here

MASSAMAN CURRY CHICKEN
Serves 4


Ingredients:
  • 1 large sweet onion
  • 1 Tbsp peanut oil
  • 2 cans coconut milk
  • 1 can Massaman curry paste (from your local Asian Market)
  • 1 tsp Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
  • 1 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 lb potatoes, cut into chunks (or fingerling potatoes work wonderfully)
  • 1 lb skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks
  • 1 Tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped (or 1 tsp dried) 
  • Jasmine rice
Directions:
  1. Cook your rice according to package directions.
  2. Cut the onion into wedges.
  3. Heat a wok (or large skillet) until hot, add the oil and swirl it around. Add the onion and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes.
  4. Pour in the coconut milk, then bring to a boil, stirring. Stir in the curry paste*, fish sauce, and sugar.
  5. Add the potatoes and simmer gently, covered for about 20 minutes.
  6. Add the chicken chunks and basil and cook, covered, over low heat for another 5-10 minutes until the chicken is done and the potatoes are tender.
  7. Serve at once over Jasmine rice.
This is especially good reheated the next day!!!

This is what I buy from my Asian market!
*This is a curry, so it has some kick. If I'm making this for anyone but me I start out with 1Tbsp of curry. After I've added all my seasoning and let it cook for a minute I add more as necessary.

No comments: